Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Recipes - Samousas au Poisson (fish filled)

Alright so here are a few more pictures just like I promised outlining the process for making fish filled samousas.

Let start by saying that I am not really good at putting down recipes. I usually eye my quantities if I'm familiar or if I "feel" what I am making. And a lot of times I add or skip a few ingredients depending on what I have or my inspiration.

So for this particular recipe you need some fish. You can get the frozen fillet from the grocery store or you can do like me and get some fresh fish (1 medium size tilapia). You need to boil the fish in water until cooked (it really doesnt take long at all). I boiled my whole cleaned tilapia, then used a fork to get only the flesh from it and discarded the rest.

To spice my filling I blended: onion, garlic, parsley and cilantro, a little bit of ginger, a habanero pepper and a couple of seasoning cubes.

  
Mince a small onion, brown the onion in a little bit of oil, add your spice mixture and let it cook, when it doesn't smell "raw" anymore, add your fish and mash it in the mixture.


 Now from your crust (you can find the recipe for the crust here), cut little squares, at the center of which you will spoon a small amount of your filling, fold it over, seal the edges with your fingers and secure the seal using the moistened (water will do) teeth of a fork just like in the pictures below.













Finally brush your samousas with some egg wash for a golden brown "shine" or simply with some melted butter (like I did just so it doesn't dry out too much). They ready for the oven. I had them at 300 degrees Farenheit for 15-20 minutes but see what works best with your oven. I always have to bake at a lower temperature than what most recipes recommend, not sure why...


It's ready!!!



Read the recipe for the crust

1 comment:

  1. This is so nice.Am definitely going to make this by weekend.Thanks Sasi.

    ReplyDelete