Thursday, November 17, 2011

Roasted Cornich Hen

How does cornich hen roasted the African way sounds like for dinner???

I really like cornich hen because of its natural flavor which is little coarser than this mechanically produced fatty chickens they sell us everywhere, and its taste and texture is closer to our naturally produced poultry which they call here "organic" to sound fancy and which is the norm for us back home. What I also really like about the hens is the fact that I can roast them without having the boil them forever before like our african "strong chicken". They will come out moist without falling apart. The other thing is that they are small enough for the serving size to be half of a hen per person.

I usually prep my hens the day before, I clean them and prepare my mixture of Maggi seasoning cubes, parsley, mustard, a little bit of oil, some crushed habanero peppers, garlic, a little bit of ginger and stick my seasoning inside the hen (I usually make holes with a knife) and also between the skin and the flesh and let it sit overnight in the fridge or if I'm in a rush I would do it in the morning to have it roasted in the evening.

When you are ready to put it in the oven, repeat the same process with your mixture of spices (adding about half an onion or a small onion this time), add a little more oil when you are done and rub the poultry all over with it. Put it in the oven at about 325 degrees Fahrenheit for about 2 hours, rubbing your hens with the mixture every now and then.

Serve with the side of your choice!



served with a side of salad, potato gratin and stuffing

6 comments:

  1. wow!!! Ilove that thing you did with the tray and pan!!! I always had problems grillling 'cos it would always leave a mess!! I will try this when I get home...
    Not to forget the cake too..:D

    ReplyDelete
  2. umm..that's right up my alley..i so love food ...sigh

    ReplyDelete
  3. this looks and sounds so delicious. Love reading about African cuisine and learning more about the food through your blog! I'm definitely following :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. MAybe I should have waited til morning to see this blog... *Salivating before bed..*
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. So you marinate the hen 2ce? I am guessing that will really boost the flavor. I love the golden brown color in your pictures. Looks very delicious. Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Swits, I believe all is right with your world. Let us know how you are doing o. Happy New Year. May it augur well for us all

    ReplyDelete