Thursday, November 17, 2011

Okra Soup

People usually tend to have a love/hate relationship with Okra. Either they love it or they hate it. And Okra soup can be very nasty looking and tasting if not cooked well. Though it is rather easy to make and the taste will depend a lot on the spices and the kind of meat that you put in there.

I usually either cut my okra in very very tiny pieces or I blend it. I'm not a fan of big slices of okra. My husband likes it drawy while I don't. So I make it drawy but not too much.
Say Hello to this yummy plate of Okra Soup!!




This is how I make it.


  1. Boil your goat meat and cow skin together with a few slices of onion, salt and pepper
  2. When cooked, drain the meat, and keep the broth.
  3. Fry your onion, then add your tomato and let it cook for 5-10 minutes.

 
 
 

 Next blend this...
4 cloves of garlic, half an onion, 2 habanero peppers, half a tomato
...into this:


 And add that mixture to your pot


Let it cook on medium heat for about 15 minutes, then add your meat and let it cook for another 5 to 10 minutes. You want the flavor of the meat and that of the sauce to combine and cook together for a little bit.


 In the meantime blend your okra


Add your okra mixture to your pot


add your smoked fish and your crayfish and let it cook for about 10 minutes...

  

 

...before adding about half a cup to 2/3 cup of palm oil. 


Let the oil cook and combine into the soup, adjust your seasoning and let simmer for about 10 more minutes. It's ready!

served with yam foufou


1 comment:

  1. Then i am one those who love okra. And i have to admit that your okra soup look so delicious that it's make me hungry. Oh this soup and a nice fufu i can never get enough of it.
    I will make sure to try your recipe and see.

    African Recipes with Cooking Videos

    ReplyDelete